A Message from the Executive Director
Welcome to the Chris and Carol McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, a center dedicated to building innovative capacity in individuals, firms, and society through world-class education and research.
The McGuire Center has pioneered entrepreneurship programs that are both rigorous and enriching. Teams of highly motivated undergraduate and graduate students master the conceptual and practical skills needed to turn ideas into ventures, solve real problems, and serve the needs of real people in society. Students learn through a combination of expert in-class teaching, intense hands-on practical work, and guidance from dedicated and experienced mentor-entrepreneurs. Many students choose to launch their ventures upon leaving a McGuire Center program. But all students, both those enrolled in the McGuire Entrepreneurship Program and in the Eller Entrepreneurship and Innovation Initiative, exit their McGuire experience equipped with the drive, the understanding, and the practical skills necessary to be innovators and entrepreneurs along whatever path they choose.
In addition to our educational programs, the McGuire Center supports an array of research programs aimed at developing and disseminating in-depth knowledge about the nature and complexity of innovation and entrepreneurship. Through, research colloquia, competitive grants, workshops, visiting scholars, as well as our own research, we continue to explore the many ways that innovation and entrepreneurship are collaborative, creative processes with the potential to transform and benefit society.
We hope you will explore our website and get to know us, our people, and our programs. Better yet, we invite you to join us. We seek the talents of exceptional students at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels, from all fields of study, who share our passion for and interest in creating a better world through innovation. And we welcome relationships with scholars from across campus and across the globe who see innovation and entrepreneurship as the keys to unlocking the potential of people everywhere.
-Joseph P. Broschak, Ph.D.
There is something for everyone at the McGuire Center.
What's your McGuire Experience?
The McGuire Entrepreneurship Program is a globally recognized program in entrepreneurship open to UA undergraduate and graduate students from any field of study. Our rigorous approach has one of the best track records in the country for creating investor-ready, award-winning ventures.
Additionally, all undergraduate business students complete the Eller Entrepreneurship and Innovation Initiative as part of their Eller experience.
The McGuire Center is raising the bar on entrepreneurship research with a robust agenda directed at increasing academic understanding of the field and building crossroads among faculty across departments and colleges at The University of Arizona.
Pioneering Innovation Education
Established in 1984 as one of the first university-based centers for entrepreneurship, McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship is among only a handful of programs in the nation that maintains top-tier rankings in both undergraduate and graduate rankings in all major surveys for the last decade.
- Ranked No. 2 among public undergraduate programs (No. 6 overall) and No. 5 among public graduate programs (No. 11 overall) in entrepreneurship education by U.S. News & World Report (2013)
- Ranked No. 8 among public undergraduate programs (No. 17 overall) and No. 6 among public graduate programs (No. 14 overall) nationally, according to Entrepreneur/Princeton Review (2013)
- Received award for Outstanding Contributions to Advance the Discipline of Entrepreneurship at Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers Conference (2012)
- USA Today and the Princeton Review called the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship the "crown jewel" of the UA, explaining that students "can learn how to be a swashbuckling business maven here, and people (including undergraduate students) at UA have come up with and implemented ideas and inventions that will blow your mind." (2010)
- Received NASDAQ Center for Entrepreneurial Excellence Award (2001 and 2008)
For additional information, contact us.